The studio artist is responsible for providing critical day-to-day studio support of the creative teams in the art production of all print materials for the advertising creative services group. The studio artist is a detail-driven, multi-tasker who thrives in a fast-paced environment. The artist understands the importance of maximizing the ability to turn quality work quickly and efficiently. They will work closely with the creative production manager, art directors, content creators and account services to maintain a high-level of quality and service while fulfilling all of our client’s production needs. They are responsible for the preparation and on-time completion of production print-ready files for magazines, tradeshows, brochures, posters, digital materials and packaging.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Builds file mechanicals/preflighting files, makes edits and revisions to existing layouts, and designs secondary pieces.
- Prepares files for final delivery adhering to vendor specifications.
- Collaborates with art directors, project managers and account team, for timely, on-budget delivery of quality production files.
- Maintains approved server structure and file organization.
- Remains current on industry trends and latest technology.
- Complies with quality standards for the team as set forth by the company.
- Keeps creative managers advised of status and changes on all projects.
- Seeks out new techniques and software that will enhance and refine the production process; while growing the group forward.
- Participates in departmental meetings.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Proficient knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign), PowerPoint, and Keynote.
- Good working knowledge of the production process, building mechanicals, and prepping files for delivery.
- Retouching and color correction as needed for production.
- Familiar with color standards, types of ink, paper quality, pre-press process (die-cuts, dielines, digital, off set), packaging, etc.
- Solid understanding of all technical print requirements.
- Possess good people and communication skills.
- Strong analytical and computer skills, with ability to focus on accuracy, attention-to-detail, and timeliness.
- Skilled in setting up and following server organizations, filing systems and naming conventions.
- Strong communication and organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and adhere to quick turn deadlines on a project-by-project basis.
- Self-starter with excellent organizational and production skills.
- Ability to keep supervisor properly informed.
- Ability to quickly identify and resolve issues, exceeding deadlines on all deliverables with little to no supervision.
- Ability to prioritize workload and manage multiple projects and be flexible due to deadline driven work.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, high pressure environment.
- Ability to solve problems creatively.
- Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design.
- Two years’ experience in a marketing and/or agency or publishing, printer, project management environment.
- High School diploma or equivalent and eight (4) years experience may be substituted for the Bachelor’s degree and two years’ experience.
- Possession of a portfolio demonstrating ability.
- Proficient in InDesign, Adobe Acrobat, Illustrator and Photoshop.
- Experienced in the creation of prepress-ready files using industry standard graphic applications, as well as the ability to trouble shoot a variety of problems in any of the applications listed.
- Five years of related work experience preferably in an agency environment.
- Experience preparing digital files.