Senior Experience Designer
The Senior Experience Designer is responsible for leading experience design (XD) efforts on projects (both integrated and digital-specific) and mentoring other designers. Primary duties include spearheading and participating in the creation and execution of design concepts, user interface design, visual design and front-end development.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Leads, directs, and coaches XD team members on projects, with minimal supervision.
- Engages with clients, provides consultation, and presents solutions in a professional manner.
- Collaborates with team members and vendors to fulfill project goals on time, on budget, and on strategy.
- Creates engaging, responsive, usable and sustainable designs, interfaces, and interactions that are on brand.
- Demonstrates thought leadership on relevant issues and trends by written and/or oral presentation.
- Creates estimates by shaping the design strategy and defining requirements, specifications and assumptions.
- Takes appropriate meeting notes and creates associated documentation related to the successful design, development and implementation of projects.
- Develops content and information architecture strategies.
- Designs, develops, tests and refines design concepts through prototyping.
- Implements and maintains designs using appropriate front-end development techniques.
- Demonstrates corporate leadership skills.
- Participates in business development and strategic planning activities for new and existing clients.
- Participates in the recruiting, hiring, and onboarding of new team members, freelance talent and other vendors.
- Participates in the training, development and day-to-day management of other team members as needed.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong working knowledge related to the design of responsive websites, software and mobile applications, and integrated marketing campaigns.
- Working knowledge of HTML, CSS and best practices for accessible design.
- Basic understanding of backend technology including content management systems, programming languages, databases and code versioning.
- Possess excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Possess excellent presentation skills.
- Possess solutions-oriented problem solving skills.
- Possess good typing and organization skills.
- Ability to appropriately balance the needs of clients, end users, and the business.
- Ability to guide, mentor and motivate XD team members on projects.
- Ability to give, actively listen to and act on constructive criticism.
- Ability to focus on accuracy, attention-to-detail, and timeliness.
- Ability to keep supervisor properly informed.
- Ability to prioritize workload, manage multiple tasks, and show initiative with limited need for supervision.
- Ability to work evenings and/or weekends if needed.
- High school diploma.
- Five (5) or more year’s hands-on experience in multiple areas of design including: visual design, user experience design, user interface design, interaction design, content strategy, front-end development, usability research.
- Project experience leading and working with multi-disciplinary teams.
- Strong visual design skills as demonstrated via a portfolio of work.
- Strong understanding of design best practices (and knowing when it is appropriate to break the rules), integrated marketing strategies, branding, accessibility, and Privacy by Design principles.
- Proficient with applications including Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office, and Axure.
- Proficiency with HTML and CSS in addition to cross-browser/platform/device testing skills.
- Basic knowledge of various workflow methods including waterfall, agile and Kanban.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Passionate observer, consumer and practitioner of all facets of the digital industry.