The Account Executive (AE) serves as a primary client contact and ensures a high-level of strategic thinking, productivity and efficiency is maintained on all assigned accounts. Performs all public relations functions including writing, media interaction, client liaison and day-to-day administrative activities.
Reports to: Account Supervisor, Senior Account Supervisor, Vice President and/or Senior Vice President
Status: Full-time regular, exempt.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages day-to-day activities of the account to ensure a high level of productivity and account service satisfaction in the public relations group.
- Develops and writes public relations plans and strategies and makes proactive recommendations to clients.
- Prepares communication materials involved in the implementation of public relations programs for clients. Writes press releases, copy for newsletters articles and other media-related materials.
- Assists team in crisis communications situations, as directed.
- Maintains relationships with industry and editorial contacts to assure appropriate opportunities are realized for clients.
- Develops itineraries and coordinates travel logistics for clients, media and staff.
- Manages and/or creates content for publications, such as brochures, newsletters, and magazines, as assigned.
- Handles special projects, new business assignments, and social/community involvement activities, as assigned.
- Stays current with news and developments in client’s industry and in related markets.
- Communicates regularly with clients on status, work in progress reports and conference call reports.
- Works with team to ensure print, television and online media coverage reports are produced. Clips or copies all client referenced and competitor and related industry news stories. Ensure reports are generated and sent to client in a timely manner.
- Provides direction and/or organizes photo and/or video shoots for publications, social media channels, presentations and other communications initiatives.
- Prepares reports for clients including public relations activity and clipping reports, as assigned.
- Manages media and client contact database, including the updating of contacts, and preparing and maintaining distribution lists.
- Manages online pressrooms, including uploading news releases and updating client information, as directed.
- Reviews daily media opportunities and alerts team to pertinent issues/opportunities.
- Responds to client, vendor, and media requests.
- Ensures conference rooms are prepared for meetings.
- Performs general administrative duties, including monitoring account productivity/profitability and receivables.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Firm knowledge and understanding of the public relations functions within marketing..
- Project management skills.
- Knowledge and understanding of budgets and accounting functions.
- Knowledge and understanding of the role of communications in marketing and public relations.
- Possess excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong ability to focus on accuracy, attention-to-detail, and timeliness.
- Strong writing and editing skills.
- Ability to respond well under pressure.
- Ability to inspire and encourage team members to do their best work.
- Ability to work in a team-oriented environment under supervision and independently.
- Ability to keep supervisor properly informed.
- Ability to prioritize workload and manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to coordinate travel logistics.
- Ability to travel off-island.
- Ability to work evenings and/or weekends if needed.
General office environment. Work is generally conducted at a desk with a personalized computer provided by the company in a cubicle or office, but will also require moving about the office or going to meetings outside the office. The working environment is pleasant, with adequate lighting and temperature, and no hazardous or uncomfortable conditions caused by noise, dust, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Marketing, Public Relations, Journalism, Communications or related field.
- High School diploma and three years’ experience in a marketing environment may be substituted for the Bachelor’s degree.
- Two (2) years’ experience in Marketing, Public Relations, Media or related field/industry.
- Possess a high degree of professionalism.
- Strong desire to learn and grow in the public relations/marketing/communications field.
- Account service/management experience.
- Experience managing projects and working in a team.
- Network of quality business and media contacts locally and nationally.
- Experience working with Office 365 and related applications.
- Understanding of Hawaii’s history, culture, and lifestyle.
- Strong interest in the hospitality and travel industry.